9.22.2008

Xtreme-athon.


CAUTION:

Trail terrain may include sand, roots, rocks and mud.


Oh...and that it did. Why was it when we signed up, we didn't read the fine print? We had prepared ourselves, or so we thought, for a half marathon. We ran around Lake Merritt feeling pretty confident about our race, but come to race day, we were nervous and cold. The wind was blowing early in the morning and we had thought about wearing our sweatshirts. Good thing we didn't. The mysterious trail later became the mountain bike trail of horror. As I was running the hills didn't stop and my legs quickly became tired. I slowed down trying to keep my energy up so I could circle the 10K loop again. I wasn't looking forward to it. But I kept going. As I hit mile 11, I couldn't get my legs to run up the hills anymore. I will admit, I walked and it was okay. I knew I had to finish the race strong, so I popped an electrolyte chew and approached the water station and refueled myself. My quads started cramping, but I pushed through and found myself finishing the race. I'll admit, it was fun. I'm glad we accomplished our goal and I feel stronger because of it. My time goal was shot, but I feel proud for crossing the finish line and I know that if it were a FLAT race, the results would have been different. You can click here for official time results. Our friend also ran the race with us. She's amazing! She drove up the night before, ran the race and drove back home. It was fun to have her there and enjoy the madness with us. She tells her story well and has a few pictures. Click here to view. I will also suggest not going wakeboarding the day before a race. I thought it would be fun to get a couple rides in for the end of the season, but ended up crashing and hitting my head pretty badly. It didn't help race day when I had a pounding headache and a bloated stomach from being on my period. Yep, not the best conditions to be running a half marathon, but I did it. For kicks I'll have Papa J tell his side of the story of race day 'cause I know you all will get a kick out of it. Totally my husband, and I love him to death.
This is Shaelee totally psyched before the race. You go girl!



5 comments:

Teandra said...

I've tried to make it cute, but I am not talented like that. I just get frustrated. Any tips?

LJW said...

WAY TO GO!!! You rock- I wish we would have done it! I was so mad at myself for not doing it that I went and ran my own that morning.

Talk about crazy running conditions for you though- not the best right? Way sweet that you did it together, makes for good memories- nice job on your time too!

We need to get together and hang out- I want to here Jermey's side of the story:)

p.s Your blog is so cute- how do you do it? pps. way to go on growing plants too- both of mine just died!

Breean and Jeff said...

YEAH!! Way to go!!

smith scratch said...

You guys are just AMAZING! That stinks about the unexpected trail, but I am sure that your positive outlook made it a great experience. Speaking of dirty trails, we just got a child carrier backpack to put J in, so if you guys want to go hiking sometime, hit me up. Peace.
-m

Nicole said...

Amazing, just amazing! You guys ROCK!