2.20.2009

Photography 101: Aperture.

A few girls at church, including me, are interested in expanding our photography knowledge and skills. This months lesson is aperture and DOF (depth of field). So every week as I take pictures to work on this skill, I will be posting them to keep documentation. Sorry if this is boring to you, especially what I photograph. I'll try to mix it up a little. Try.

So yesterday Little Z and I took advantage of the sunny weather and headed out for a walk around the lake. I took this opportunity to take some photos. This is what I got.

Not bad. I think. My goal out of this class, is to become a master of my camera. I may not have the nicest equipment, but I can be able to take good shots if I know what I am doing. Hopefully you and I will be able to see my progression. And for those of you out there that know what you are doing, please, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Both shots were taken with an aperture of F3.3. When zooming in, my camera won't allow me to use F2.8 (which is the highest setting on my camera). Here is a similar photo using F8.0. Can you tell the difference? Pretty extreme differences yes, but you get the idea now. So this month we are only shooting with our aperture priority. Hopefully I'll be able to grasp the concept and continue to use it as we continue to learn.

4 comments:

Breean and Jeff said...

If you adjust the ISO you can get up to the highest aperture. I dont know it that was the deal, but it might help.

Marisa said...

I love that you are teaching yourself photography. Very cool. I am currently reading Annie Leibovitz new book "At Work". She describes the process she goes through when she photographs and it is interesting to see how her mind works. The book is fascinating and I highly recommend it. Annie learned her trade primarily through studying photographers she admired.

Trevor and Lauren said...

AHHHHH, I don't check your blog for a while and you go and get knocked up! :) Congrats! Aunt Gwynn and Uncle Dave came to HI and she told me that you were prego! That is so great!

AND good job on the pics. I have always wanted to take a photography class.

AND Trev and I have been thinking about booking our blog but you may have swayed us to finally do it. I think it is so great! Was it pretty simple?

Anyways congrats again!!! Yea! One of these days I will have to meet both of them.

lauren said...

Like the pics, you got it to work!

Also... congrats on the new baby! I thought you might be preggers. Two is fun!