8.21.2009

Baby sister. The story.

Photobucket
That's what we call her because we haven't yet picked out the "perfect" name yet. We have until Tuesday to decide, so for now we are trying out different names on her and seeing what fits best. Any suggestions are welcome.

She was born Aug. 19 at 11:58pm and now shares a birthday with her cousin Malakai and our favorite photographer.

I went into labor early Wednesday morning having very sporadic contractions. Before Papa J left for work I let him know so all day he kept phoning me every chance he got. To help regulate things and to get things moving more, I decided to go on a walk around the lake. I even opted for some hills and sweated while pushing Z in the stroller, but I wanted things to start moving. I'm assuming it helped since my contractions started regulating around 3pm coming every 10 minutes or so. Papa J came home a little later and soon the contractions began to come more often and a little stronger. I knew I wanted to wait it out as long as possible at home so it wasn't until 8:30 we decided to lock down our night sitter for Z. She was already in bed so we just had some friends stay the night with her. Worked out perfectly....thank you!

We arrived at the hospital just after 9pm and checked into triage. There they hooked me up to their monitors and checked me and the baby out. After two nurses checked me out, they told me I was dilated just over a 3, but 90% effaced. Visions of Z's labor came into my mind and I knew I wanted that epidural as quickly as possible to speed things up. Unfortunately when the midwife came to check me out, she expressed her concerns with the babies heart rate being too high. They were hoping it was due to me being dehydrated so they hooked me up to an IV for a liter of fluids. The only thing was I couldn't have that epidural until all the fluids were gone and the babies heart rate lowered.

So I was admitted. Thankfully I didn't have to return home and I was assigned a room. It felt much better working through the contractions walking than sitting in the triage room hooked to a bunch of monitors. Not fun. So I labored and labored some more while waiting for the anesthesiologist. Unfortunately he was in two emergency C-section operations, and all I could do was wait and labor some more. The nurse was kind enough to give me a drug to help subside the pain in hopes it would hold me over until the anesthesiologist was free. It really helped me relax in between some pretty hard contractions, but only for about an hour.

It was nearing 11pm and Papa J and I were taking guesses with the nurse as to when the baby was going to be born. I was hoping before midnight because I wanted to get it over with, but in my head I figured it wasn't possible. I thought for sure I was only dilated to a 5 or so with much more laboring to continue. The nurse was more optimistic, but we sort of all agreed the baby would be born early Thursday morning.

Finally good news came. The anesthesiologist was finishing up and was on his way. As he arrived I sat on the bed preparing myself for some pain relief or so I thought. As I was contracting on the bed I was feeling the need to push. One nurse told me it was due to my sitting position and it was okay. The other nurse told me to resist the pushing sensation. I could hardly resist it, but tried nonetheless. Then the anesthesiologist said the epidural was in tack, but I wasn't feeling any relief, just the need to push. I remember when I got the epidural with Z, I immediately felt relief and shortly fell asleep thereafter. This was completely different. The nurse decided to check me and when she did she said I was ready to go and went ahead and paged the midwife. She came in, checked me, broke my water and told me to go ahead and push. Twenty minutes later (and just before midnight), baby sister arrived in Papa J's arms. He was thrilled to be able to catch her.

Baby sister weighed in at 8 lbs 1 oz and was 20.5 inches long. She has a full head of dark hair, just like Z did. She is healthy and eating well and we couldn't be more pleased.

Photobucket

We are now home, resting and enjoying our baby sister. We were released from the hospital at 2pm on Thursday. I didn't want to spend any more time than needed. I longed to be in my own bed and comfortable. So far things have been wonderful. Not that I anticipate them to stay that way, but so far so good. I can only imagine what roller coaster of a ride it will be with two children, but I love them both so very much.

Photobucket
Photobucket

20 comments:

The Lively's said...

I'm so happy things went well! She looks like her sis! Congrats & best of luck to you & the whole name thing! Names are so hard!!!!

Tammy said...

Congrats, can't wait for our baby sister to show up... 5 weeks to go... though we have had our name for way too long... either way, she is beautiful and fabulous. Yeah for you.

April J. said...

Congratulations, Coco is beautiful! hee-hee.

Erin said...

Congrats guys! What trooper. I love that last picture, makes me a little nervous for the two myself, but it sure is cute.

Nicole said...

CONGRATS!!! Janelle she looks just like you! yay! So beautiful! I'm so glad things went so well. Sorry you couldn't get relief from the epidural. But at least she's here and before midnight. haha. Hope all continues going well. Oh and what color shoes do you want? ;)

Kara said...

WAHIOOOOOO!!!!! I was totally thinking about you the past handful of days! I am so happy you've got yourself another sweet little baby and things went ok :) COngrats to your little family :)

Breean and Jeff said...

congrats!! So glad that everyone is happy and healthy!

Eric, Sammy, & Kami said...

Baby sister is soooo beautiful and perfect. And congrats Mama J for having a natural birth. You look amazing, and you have two gorgeous daughters just like you. Rest and post pictures soon.

Luanne Hardy said...

Congratulations. She is so beautiful! I can't wait to meet her.

Amy said...

So that's why we got your A's tickets on Wednesday night. Thanks! Congratulations you guys. I think she looks just like Z!

lauren said...

She is so cute! What a fast labor! Megan called me when she first got to your house and I was shocked to see the text sent at midnight about the new baby.
Here are the names I like: Viviene, Ada, Mae, Lena, and Addison. I'm sure yours are way better. Good luck!

ash and jay said...

Congrats to the both of you!! You guys have such a beautiful growing family. Good luck picking a name. I know how tough it is. I'm really liking the name, Isla. Kinda like, island, you don't pronounce the /s/.

Anywho, I can't remember how I found ur blog, but it's absolutely darling. I'm sure you remember us from Concord.....Jeremy and Jason served together for a time on the mish. We adore your hubby....so tell hime we say, "HI".

Bethany said...

Congratulations! I'm so glad you and baby sister are healthy. So wonderful.

Miss you!

Teandra said...

'The baby' also shares a birthday with my husband! She's so cute! I'm glad everything's ok.

Marisa said...

Congratulations Nellie!! I am SO happy for you!!! xoxoxox

Ricki said...

Yay! You rock woman!! Baby sister is lovely. :) Having two kids is so much fun, you're going to love it!

Camelia Bradshaw said...

congratulations you guys. She is a doll. Z looks soooo grown up. I am so happy to hear that all went well.

brittany doll said...

Congrats! Tim called me last week to tell me you had the baby, and that you named her JerNell! I'm glad that you are home and doing great! She does look like you. I can't wait to hear what her name is. Though I do like baby sister. Too bad they just can't stay little forever.

Lindsey Whiting said...

I love the name you chose; very pretty! She is beatuiful, I especially love the pix of Zoe with Amara. You look great by the way, and that's a hospital pic so you must look stinkin' hot in real life. Hat's off to you! let me know how two kids goes. :0)

Marielle said...

Yay! I'm sooooo happy for you guys, especially since she shares my birthday! She will be a little feisty one since she's a Leo!

Just for the record: she & I also share birthdays with Coco Chanel. How awesome is that?

BTW, you look so amazing after having a baby! We are so happy for you guys!

Love Sam & Marielle Hayes