2.09.2010

The jacket.

It started to rain here in California, so I took the opportunity to start sewing again. I know that seems kinda odd, but I figured if we were stuck indoors, I might as well have some project to work on and so I headed to JoAnn's and lucky for me they had their patterns on sale for 99 cents. I picked up about ten. Now this may seem odd as well, but I have never done a pattern before, but I'm wanting to know more about clothing patterns and so I figured it was a good starting point.

When I opened up the pattern, I immediately called my mother. I wasn't sure what everything meant and where to exactly start. She helped me start and I told myself to take it as slow as needed. Thank goodness I didn't have high expectations because in the beginning I used my trusty seam ripper many a times. And on a high note, I didn't get upset. Usually I get really frustrated and pretty much give up. I'm guessing having two children has helped me with my impatience curse.

My seam ripper came in handy all along this process, but I couldn't be more pleased with the results. Z was so excited to have a new jacket that mommy especially made for her. She would sit with me at the sewing machine playing and repeating, "You're making a jacket for Zoe!"
This is the first time I have sewn button holes and I made sure to practice several times on a fabric scrap. I like the buttons I chose, but next time I will go with a flat button as it would work better for this jacket. (Note to self: learn how to properly sew on buttons.)
Overall I am very pleased with myself. In fact I want to make another one with different materials. I'm thinking a black canvas type of material with a more satin lining. But don't worry it won't be any time soon. I have more projects I'd like to do before repeating this one.

13 comments:

Jamie said...

Wow that coat is beautiful! Love the fabric and the buttons. You amaze me!

Liz said...

You are amazing! That jacket is adorable'!

Nicole said...

Okay, absolutely in love. You have now inspired me to do the same. Love it. What kind of material did you use?

Trevor and Lauren said...

GREAT JOB J!! It is adorable- you are pretty amazing!

Teandra said...

Wow! I'm very impressed. Nice work!

Tyler and ShaeLee May said...

You are so talented! I'm so jealous. I wish I could sew, but I don't seem to have an artistic bone in my body. You amaze me.

Kara said...

Oh. My. Gosh. You are my hero. K, love the fact the Z was totally into the process. Teigan would have driven me crazy while laying out the pattern.

toni said...

Love the jacket. I'm glad you get impatient too. Sewing is definately not as relaxing as some point it out to be. Great job. Best of all, it looks good on Z!

Breean and Jeff said...

That is really cute!! Good job!

RC Cola said...

Wow - I am so impressed.

The Lively's said...

oh my! That is sooooo adorable!!!! you are crafty!

Ricki said...

Your projects are so inspiring. Seriously, every time I read on your blog what you've been working on I want to go start/finish something of my own. Thanks!

Ricki said...

Your projects are so inspiring. Seriously, every time I read on your blog what you've been working on I want to go start/finish something of my own. Thanks!