1.29.2012

Ice Skating.

Each month Z has a field trip with her class. For January it was ice skating. To gear Z up and get her prepared we watched youtube videos together on how to ice skate. Since this would be her first time (and knowing my own daughter) I wanted to give her the best visual possible of what to expect. She seemed pretty confident and was super excited to skate, so I crossed my fingers come field trip day.

We brought along her helmet to be on the safe side. Luckily she didn't have any hard falls, but you never can be too sure. I also put a wrist guard on her left wrist to be sure she didn't re-injure her wrist since it had only been a couple of weeks since we took off her cast.

After she held onto the wall, she didn't want to let go. I tried to hold her hands while I skated backwards, but the feel was just too foreign to her.
But then we got a chair and she felt more free. She could move around the rink and follow (or not follow) me around. The only problem about the chair is that it was a little small for my Z so I felt she was a hunched over too much. After skating for awhile she wanted to take a break and I'm sure it was because she was uncomfortable hunching over. But she was too comfortable with the chair and wouldn't skate without it. I didn't push her and wanted her to have a positive experience.

Here she is skating next to her friend. See the height difference? Z's already 48" tall!

I was so glad I was able to attend this field trip. I'm especially grateful that Z had a positive experience. She couldn't wait to tell Papa J all about it. I was able to grab some video footage of her skating and while watching it together, she kept telling Cici, "It was my first time ice skating!" Z really wants to go ice skating again and I'm hoping we can make a family date out of it. Maybe she'll let go of the chair if her daddy's there.

No comments: