4.03.2012

Our Spingtime Centerpiece.

Our grass grew! And fast.

This was such a fun, easy and inexpensive centerpiece. The girls and I just loved it! We'd wake up every morning to see how much the grass had grown. From start to finish it only took 6 days. I first found the idea on a friends blog. Then I searched Pinterest to see what other ideas would come up. I knew I had to try this since everyone said it was so easy and virtually foolproof.

I found the red hard wheat berries in the bulk section at a local grocery store (Sprouts). The berries cost me .50 and I still have more left. I then measured out 1/3 cup and soaked them overnight. The next morning I placed them on top of the soil, covered it in saran wrap, and placed a towel over to give it a greenhouse effect. The next day I removed the saran wrap and towel and made sure the seeds received enough light. And sure enough in a couple of days the grass had already grown inches! I loved how fast it all took place.
I thought about juicing/blending the grass for the health benefits, but ended up not. I'll have to grow some more and try it out next time though. I also can't wait to do this every year as it's so cheerful and bright. It really made Springtime so special in our house.

No comments: