6.26.2011

Grand Central Terminal.


I almost missed out on seeing Grand Central Terminal while I was in NYC. Sure glad I didn't. It is amazingly beautiful.

It was my last night in NYC and my sister and I had just had the longest day of our life. We were running on about 3 hours of sleep and I seriously didn't think she was going to make it much longer. But she braved it with me and we continued to ride the subway downtown to check out Grand Central Station and hopefully see the Empire State Building.

I actually enjoyed seeing GCT at night vs during the day. There weren't as many people and the warmth of the lights as I held my shutter open really added to the pictures (or at least I think so).


My brother was the best guide. He had lots of interesting facts about GCT (and other NY spots). One little tid bit was that the ceiling used to be black due to pollution and neglect. It wasn't until a few years ago they decided to do a thorough washing of the terminal when they discovered the beautiful ceiling which is painted with the constellations. And just so people remember how dirty the ceiling was, they left an uncleaned portion. So if you visit and see the little black spot, you now know the purpose and story behind it.

Another fun thing about GCT are the whispering walls. If you stand on opposite ends of the walls, you then can whisper sweet nothings (or just anything) to one another and actually hear them! It works because your voice travels along the arches or dome of the ceiling.
I didn't do a whole lot of exploring the terminal since it was 11:30pm, but I know I'll be back someday. And then I'll be able to come during the day and get a different perspective. But from what I did see and do, I loved it and I'm so glad I was able to capture some of it's beauty.

3 comments:

Tyler and ShaeLee May said...

Pretty pictures! I bet it's a completely different story during the day. Glad you got to see it at night, too.

Kara said...

Rad pictures. I knew about the wall because of a really dumb movie I just saw. What a cool concept hey? Curved ceilings….

rachelspiers said...

I was JUST wishing I could see more NYC pics and here they are! Great job J!