1.03.2012

A little homemade.

This past year I neglected my sewing machine. A lot. And so I decided that I must at least take her for a ride before the year ended. And so I decided to make some floor cushions for my girls for Christmas.

On Black Friday & Saturday JoAnns of all places was having a great sale. 50% off home decor fabrics plus an additional 25% off at the register with a coupon. It was a steal of a deal! At first I was looking for coordinating fabrics, but after not finding what I was looking for, decided to make them the same. Plus I figured there would be less fighting between them. They only subtle difference between the two cushions is the piping - one has bright pink piping and the other light pink. So if the girls do want to claim one as their own, we can tell them apart. But thus far, I haven't mentioned the difference to them and they haven't asked. Whew! But my mother did get an embroidery attachment for her sewing machine this year for Christmas, so I can go back and add their initials if I want.

I found the idea on Pinterest, though I believe I had seen it before from browsing blogs, and followed the tutorial from Living with Punks. When I started to cut out my fabric, I realized I didn't have a compass to create the same size circle in the tutorial, so I found my largest bowl and went with it. My cushions are larger than the pattern calls for and I like it. Not only is the circle larger, but I added a little more height as well.

The girls seem to really like them. So far they have used them as seats, pillows, weapons (hitting each other with them) and landing cushions for when they jump off the couch or chair. I would have liked to fill them up with bean bag pellets, but time ran out for me and buying the fiberfill was fast and easy. If I do end up making changes on these, I will most likely buy the pellets as I think they will last longer and keep their shape better. But for the most part they are great and I actually accomplished a sewing task. Now on to the new year...

5 comments:

Teandra said...

very very cute! You're so talented

Kara said...

rock on.

Sweet November said...

Cute J! I need some of these in the basement for kid friendly seating. By the way I love the new couch! KNowing you it's probably like new and at 80% off! :o) Frugalista JPE!

David and Stephanie said...

so stinking cute!! I saw them in a picture of yours and was going to ask you about them...I want to make them too...after I finish all my other projects from last year :)

Amy and Mike said...

super cute! I made the kids bean bags and filled them with the pellets, but they start going flat, so i've had to add filling to them about once a year. If they used them more I'd probably have to add more frequently. Does the same happen with the fiberfill?...