3.22.2012

Preparing for Easter.

I honestly can't believe Easter is coming up in two weeks! I've taken a little break with sewing the girls dresses from my grandfather's dress shirts, but haven't put my sewing machine down altogether.

I'm not one for loads and loads of candy for Easter. I like to add personal touches to the girls Easter baskets and I'm starting a little earlier than normal this year. Since I'm all about getting through my stash of fabric and scraps, I decided to go to my Pinterest board and start some of my pinned projects. This owl rice bag was super easy to whip up. And I think it turned out cute as well.

I started out last night by cutting all my pieces of fabric. Then today both girls decided to nap (yes a VERY RARE occasion) so I took advantage and sewed them during their nap. I don't want them to see it yet, as it's meant to be a surprise to them. I made two owls (one is waiting on more rice) and I made them exactly the same. I thought that would be the easiest. Maybe in the future I'll be more brave to make things different for them. We'll see.

Before putting the rice in, I mixed some lavender essential oil into the rice. I'm not sure how long it will last and if it will last through the microwaves (if the girls decide they'd like the rice bag warm in their beds), but I think it adds a nice touch. Maybe it will help them sleep better at night!

If your interested in the pattern you can find it here. She's also made a pattern for chick-sicles (A rice cooling pad in the shape of a chick!). They would also be adorable for Easter.




3 comments:

Kara said...

super cute idea. i love lavender oil. I just put some straight on my pillow a few nights ago and it just calms me. (rub in my fingers then lightly spread….i don't fancy diluting it with water and spritzing it.)

A few Easter's ago (when we did baskets) we put some percussion instruments and books in their baskets. and we still have those and teach them to play with us. I'm all for the non candy gifts.

Amy and Mike said...

how cute!!!! love them!

The Lively's said...

"Sew" Cute! I need to revamp my old sewing skills I learned way back in high school and get jiggy with the crafting, you are always making cute stuff. Feel free to make me something anytime! LOL!